It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 29   [ 566 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:17 pm 

"When a vision comes from the thunder beings of the West, it comes with terror like a thunder storm; but when the storm of vision has passed, the world is greener and happier; for wherever the truth of vision comes upon the world, it is like a rain. The world, you see, is happier after the terror of the storm. … you have noticed that truth comes into this world with two faces. One is sad with suffering, and the other laughs; but it is the same face, laughing or weeping. … as lightning illuminates the dark, for it is the power of lightning that heyokas have."

Hehaka Sapa (Black Elk) - Oglala

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:53 pm 

A Message from Chief Arvol Looking Horse

“We as caretakers of Turtle Island have always understood Great Spirit has blessed us with the water of life, Mni Wic’oni. We always knew it is the life-line to maintain health and well-being. For a few decades now, we have been told through our ceremonies that man has gone too far, disrupting many cycles of life. Through our passed down knowledge that still carry traditions of respect for the world in order to maintain balance and harmony, we still carry our ways to honor the four seasons upon Mother Earth. On March 21st, many People will be Welcoming the Thunders in ceremonies throughout Turtle Island. We also acknowledge another honoring for water around Mother Earth to unite and offer prayers on March 22nd, known as World Water Day.
We are asking to open your heart and minds to this time of crisis that is now upon us, threatening a healthy life for our future generations and also for the many spirit lives of the four legged, winged ones, those that crawl and that swim who depend on Mni Wic’oni, the water of life.
Those that know how strong spiritual energy is, understand water is the most essential life-line to survival. It is a ‘Source of Life’ that is so powerful, that when we offer our energy of prayers, it can change into medicinal healing, through united intentions. Even science finally found this out only recently. Water carries the Keeper’s energy and can change very fast. It can also bring death by not respecting its gift, especially when over abused as a Resource. It is time we wake up the World to stop abusing and destroying a gift of life – before it is too late.
In a sacred hoop of life, where there is no ending and no beginning.”
Onipiktec’a (that we shall live),

Chief Arvol Looking Horse
19th Generation Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm 

"There were a few Indians who were liars, and never on the warpath, playing 'good Indian' with the Indian agents and the war chiefs at the forts. Some of this faithless set betrayed me, and told more than I ever did. I was seized and taken to the fort near Bismarck, North Dakota (Fort Abraham Lincoln), by a brother (Tom Custer) of the Long-Haired War Chief, and imprisoned there. These same lying Indians, who were selling their services as scouts to the white man, told me I was to be shot to death, or else hanged upon a tree. I answered that I was not afraid to die."

Itoηagaju (Rain-in-the-Face) Hunkpapa, 1835-1905

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:18 pm 

Attachment:
RainInTheFace1893.png [1.4 MiB]
Not downloaded yet
"I had sung the war song, I had smelt power smoke, my heart was bad--I was like one who has no mind. I rushed in and took their flag; my pony fell dead as I took it. I cut the thong that bound me; I jumped up and brained the sword flag man with my war club, and ran back to our line with the flag. I was mad, I got a fresh pony and rushed back shooting, cutting and slashing. This pony was shot and I got another. This time I saw Little Hair (Tom Custer)--I remembered my vow, I was crazy; I feared nothing. I knew nothing would hurt me for I had my white weasel tail on. I didn't know how many I killed trying to get at him. He knew me. I laughed at him and yelled at him. I saw his mouth move but there was so much noise I couldn't hear his voice. He was afraid. When I got near enough I shot him with my revolver. My gun was gone. I didn't know where. I got back on my pony and rode off. I was satisfied and sick of fighting."

Ité Omá?a?u (Rain-In-The-Face) - Dakota

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am 

"This article begins from the premise that Dakota people experienced a colonial invasion of our homeland. That invasion came in the form of deceitful treaties and treaty-making processes by the U.S. government that reveal it never intended to deal fairly with Dakota people; traders who sought their wealth by encouraging the exploitation of our homeland and the indebtedness of our people; missionaries whose religious imperialism sought to destroy Dakota spirituality and culture; soldiers who sought to establish military dominance in Dakota homeland; and settlers who flooded into Dakota lands with their belief in Manifest Destiny. In the context of this colonial narrative, the Dakota were expendable human beings. After too many wrongs, warriors among our people decided it was time to start fighting back. From this vantage point, the war may be interpreted as a defensive war, a war for Indigenous land and Indigenous life. It may be interpreted as a story of a patriotic armed stand by resistors to white invasion and conquest."

http://racism.org/index.php/articles/la ... librations

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 am 

“Colonial relations do not stem from individual good will or actions; they exist before his arrival or his birth, and whether he accepts or rejects them matters little.”

Albert Memmi

https://unsettlingamerica.wordpress.com ... er-status/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:38 am 

“I am not afraid to die. When I go into the spirit world, I will look the Great Spirit in the face and I will tell him what the whites did to my people before we went to war. He will do right. I am not afraid.”

Little Six - Dakota, 1865

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:40 am 

"Even today, those who attempt to restore Indigenous ways of being in the modern world are dismissed by colonizers and their colonized puppets as angry, unrealistic, na?ve, less sophisticated, or even less intelligent than those mimicking the values and ideals of the dominant society. The “friendly” Indians invested in whatever small perks they gain from the colonial system are deeply devoted to maintaining the existing system and they defend its justness at every turn. Or, they have individually reaped substantial prestige and power from toting the colonizer’s party line and as a consequence turn their back on the suffering of their Indigenous communities while at the same time applauding the amazing resiliency of the People. They see no need to seriously challenge the existing system because having bought into the American dream they are well on their way to achieving it. They actively participate in the blind march toward “progress,” regardless of how that march continues to devastate the People, their homelands, or their relationship with the rest of the universe. Some of them talk about tweaking the existing system, maybe passing better legislation on this issue over here, or developing a more strategic economic plan over there, and they have abandoned the struggle for liberation. They, in fact, do not want liberation because it might affect their comfortable status. And, because these “friendlies” offer no threat to the existing power structure, they become the favored pets, routinely lauded by the colonizers for their superior intelligence, insight, and commitment to the well-being of their People. They are paraded in front of colonizer audiences as Indian models of success."

Waziyata Win - Dakota

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 am 

Attachment:
TI.jpg
TI.jpg [ 5.21 KiB | Viewed 38694 times ]
“I hate all White people. You are thieves and liars. You have taken away our land and made us outcasts.”

Tatanka Iyotake - Hunkpapa

https://griid.org/2011/09/08/this-day-i ... ay-speech/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:36 am 

The Whites Are Liars. -- October 17, 1877

AFTER GENERAL TERRY departed, Sitting Bull agreed to talk to an American reporter. He recounted the reasons for his bitterness towards the Americans:

"I never taught my people to trust the whites. I have always told them the truth, that the whites are liars.
I have never dealt with the whites. Why should I? The land belonged to my people. I said I never dealt with them--I mean I never surrendered my people's rights.
I traded with them, but always gave them more than full value for what I got. I never asked the United States Government to make me presents of cloth, or anything else. I told every trader who came to our villages that I did not want any favors from him. I proposed to give him buffalo robes, elk skins and furs in exchange for what we wanted. I wanted to trade with him fairly and equally, giving him full value for what I got, but the traders wanted to give little for much. They told me if I did not accept what they give me in trade they would get the government to fight me. I told them I did not want to fight. I tried hard to prevent a fight but the government wanted everything we had. We had to fight.
I am a Lakota.... I was born on the bank of the Missouri river... . Now we have nothing. The United States government has stolen all we had; and besides that it has murdered our women and children whenever the army could sneak upon them. The country is full of troops now. If the army cannot kill us, it drives the buffalo away to starve us to death.... We do not want to fight, but we have been unable to hide from the army and had to fight. Now they want us to give them our ponies.... They do not belong to the government. The guns are also mine. I bought them and paid for them... . If they take them from us it is robbery.
As long as we had plenty of buffalo we could live. Now they are gone, almost all of them. We have nothing to eat and no land to put our lodges on. We will have to surrender. If we are starved, our grief will be over. If I had been the ruler of the great Lakota Nation in the days of my forefathers, I should have decorated the forest of the Atlantic coast with the scalps of the Europeans as fast as they came to this continent. Now my warriors are dead. My people slain. I yield by necessity, not by choice. It is vain to resist, but if I had an army I would forever remain in the field against you."

T?at?a?ka Iyot?a?ka (Sitting Bull) - Hunkpapa

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 am 

Dakhota Makhoche (Dakotah Country) is far more extensive than the white man teaches in his "his"tory books.

Attachments:
5401_1080833835302146_4718255209357730417_n.jpg
5401_1080833835302146_4718255209357730417_n.jpg [ 10.23 KiB | Viewed 50705 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 pm 

Pte Makhoche

Attachments:
12038021_1039982679387262_2524951081596752824_n (1).jpg
12038021_1039982679387262_2524951081596752824_n (1).jpg [ 24.04 KiB | Viewed 50630 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm 

"The whites provoked the war; their injustices, their indignities to our families, the cruel, unheard of and wholly unprovoked massacre at Fort Lyon ... shook... all the veins which bind and support me. I rose, tomahawk in hand, and I have done all the hurt to the whites that I could."

T?at?á?ka íyotake (Sitting Bull) - Hunkpapa

Attachments:
12038122_1030092117042985_8559809480086017409_n.jpg
12038122_1030092117042985_8559809480086017409_n.jpg [ 37.13 KiB | Viewed 50630 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:34 pm 

BLACK HILLS SIOUX NATION TREATY COUNCIL

DECLARATION OF INHERENT SOVEREIGNTY AND AUTHORITY AS

SEPARATE AND DISTINCT FROM

1934 INDIAN REORGANIZATION ACT GOVERNMENT

ADOPTED ON: March 29, 2012 (DATE) BY THE CONSENSUS OF:

Lower Brule, Eagle Butte, Yankton, Ft. Peck, Rosebud,

Santee and Oglala

AFFIRM

CHIEF OLIVER RED CLOUD, BLACK HILLS SIOUX NATION TREATY COUNCIL

THE BLACK HILLS SIOUX NATION TREATY COUNCIL REAFFIRMS ITS DECLARATION OF INHERENT AUTHORITY AND SOVEREIGNTY AS A SEPARATE AND DISTINCT ENTITY FROM THE 1934 INDIAN REORGANIZATION ACT GOVERNMENT OF THE BUREAU OF THE INDIANS AFFAIRS IN THE INTERIOR DEPARTMENT OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT. THE BLACK HILLS SIOUX NATION TREATY COUNCIL IS COMMITTED TO UPHOLDING THE 1851 AND 1868 FT. LARAMIE TREATIES.

To issue this statement regarding our Inherent Sovereignty and Authority over our own people and Nation and our sacred lands, we must take a moment to remind the IRA governments, the United States, and the world why Treaty Rights are so important to us in contemporary times and to our coming generations.

Our ancient history dates back thousands of years. Our Creation Story places our ancestors in the He Sapa (Black Hills) thousands of years ago when our people emerged from living within Mother Earth through the long tunnel called Wind Cave in the southern He Sapa.

Our name for the He Sapa is Wacante Wamaka Ognake (The Hear of Everything That Is). Our ancestors received from Taku Skan Skan (That Which Moves IS In Constant Motion) instructions on how to adapt our life to the coming of the sacred pipe. Taku Skan Skan sent these instructions through his daughter, Woope (the Law) as She is known in the Spirit World, and Pte San Win (White Buffalo Calf Pipe Woman) as She is known on Earth. She brought with Her ceremonies and showed us how our values and ways of life are connected to the sacred pipe and taught this to us to live in a good way.

Our ancestors taught us how the Star Nation moves in ceremony, and how we are to live on Mother Earth as the Stars live in the sky. This teaching includes places on earth that have a corresponding place in the Star Nation, known as constellations to the world, and as sacred ceremonies to the Lakota. These special places are within the Wacante Wamaka Ognake. As the Star Nation moves through the Universe through the seasons, we are to move here on earth. As each constellation corresponds to a location on Mother Earth, each sacred ceremony (spiritual way) has a corresponding social teaching. Thus, our Lakota Oyate (Nation, People) follow the instructions from Taku Skan Skan as delivered by Pte San Win. The sacred ceremonies depicted in the Start Nation and the way it moves and their companion locations on earth are more than sacred ceremonies, they are cumulatively the Lakota Lifeway. As we preserve our sacred ceremonies, we preserve our Lakota Lifeway. The land and land formations are intrinsic to Lakota Lifeway. We must roam these land formations as the starts travel the Universe. Certain medicines, foods, plans, animals, and birds, we must gather specifically in the He Sapa and from the land in Treaty Territory. This is what our ancestors fought and died for.

Our Creation Story teaches us that the Lakota Oyate have a long spiritual and social relationship with the Pte Oyate (Buffalo Nation), and how we are to depend on and take care of the Pte Oyate, including the land, plants, medicine and water that they need to live. From time immemorial, the Lakota Oyate were a strong People because of the Pte Oyate. As we emerged from Mother Earth through Wind Cave we were caretakers of the Pte Oyate. While the contemporary world depends on the written word, the computer microchip and other methods of recording what is important to them, our ancestors have given us the spoken word to preserve our history and this way is as valid to our people as the modern methods are valid to the contemporary world. Our spoken word history and teachings remind us that our relationship to the sacred He Sapa goes way back to the time when the enormous lizard (dinosaur) and cat with long teeth (giant sabertooth tiger) hunted huge buffalo (mammoth). Our petroglyphs (written word) demonstrate this to the world.

INVASION

Our relationship to this land predates European sailors prowling the oceans to explore for and claim land for their government and the souls of people for their religions under “doctrines” contrived to legitimize their land thefts and enslavement of human beings. It is the explorers who led the coming of the white man into our homeland, again through “discovery” such as the expeditions of Lewis and Clark, who were the hired spies of the United States to seek and map “new” lands and resources. Through these Christian Doctrines, the US government developed their “federal Indian policy” and laws used to wipe out entire Nations of Peoples here and to take land. These laws are still in use. It is interpreted by many of our traditional Lakota people to understand that the US today utilizes “federal Indian policy” in much the same way as the US military used the Gatling gun against our ancestors at Wounded Knee in 1890.

Prior to the coming of the white man to our great plains, the united States committed genocide against Native Nations and Peoples living along and inland from the eastern coast, literally wiping off the face of the earth many Native Nations of People, and bringing many Nations to the brink of extinction. The US developed federal policy and law as a tool to further legitimize their taking of lands that they had no right to, and to commit colonization on the remaining Native Nations and Peoples. Once the US government sent its people and institutions (military and religion) out to the great prairies, rivers, and mountains of our ancestors, it had already determined the tools for the genocide of the Lakota Oyate: slaughter of the mass buffalo herds to wipe out our economy to create dependency, gifts of smallpox infested blankets to wipe out our people as we had no disease resistance, and whiskey mixed with opium to create a crazed addiction and havoc in society. The US used their military against our people, our camps. Our families lived all together, we did not have a separate military organization as did the US, when they attacked, they attacked our families, our camps. The United States called their plan “The Scorched Earth Policy” and it was carried out by the their military, their government, their citizens, and their organized religions with the deliberate intention to wipe us our as a People to clear the way for US settlement and resource development.

Our ancestors were forced into war making to protect our inherent right to exist as a People, our land base and all that lived and grew on it, and our freedom and autonomy as the Bands of the Lakota Nation, the Council Fires. Following decades of war, the Lakota Oyate entered into the 1851 Ft Laramie Treaty and a few years later, the 1868 Ft Laramie Treaty with the USD, who desperately wanted peace. The 1868 Ft Laramie Treaty was ratified by the US on Feb 16, 1869. The many Tiospaye that comprise the Bands of the Lakota Nation are the treaty making body, a sovereign people with inherent rights. Nations enter into treaties with other Nations. Our ancestors made sure the He Sapa was in the center of our retained Treaty Territory which included plenty of water, plants, animals, medicines that we need as Lakota Oyate.

The 1868 Ft. Laramie Treaty is an international legal document and the basis of our international relationship with the United States, and the world. The US government and its people began to violate this Treaty immediately upon the “discovery” of gold in the He Sapa and have continued to violate this Treaty to this day. The US government and its people realized the abundance of minerals, plants and land within our land base, and their appetites for wealth were whetted, and indeed, have never been satiated as they continue to extract from Mother Earth in order to profit from this degradation.

The taking of lands by the US after the ratification of the 1868 Ft Laramie Treaty are illegal acts as unilateral decisions of the US. The 1868 Ft Laramie Treaty states that any revision of Treaty Territory requires action by three-fourths of Lakota males, which has never happened.

Although the US, through coercion of Tiospaye Naca and other leaders, later gathered a few signatures on their “official” documents, these Lakota men knew their signatures were meaningless as the Treaty stipulated that three-fourths of the Lakota males must agree to any changes to Treaty Territory. The coercion employed by the US to get at the He Sapa shows its’ greed and willingness to connive in a despicable manner, or in the words of the US Supreme Court, “the most ripe and rank” manner. As the mass buffalo herds were slaughtered by this point in time and there was hardly an game, the US government called their effort the “Starve or Sell” campaign. History documents show the US military left piles of food items in strategic locations, for the hungry Lakota to find, and it shows us that inside these piles of food, the US military left bombs which would explode when the hungry Lakota would touch them. Often, the food would be poisoned, in case any Lakota survived the explosion they would die from eating poisoned food.

Unilateral decisions by the US government to take Treaty Territory or resources since 1868 were made for self enrichment at the expense of the Lakota Nation, and at the irrevocable detriment to Mother Earth, without concern for the impact on all of life in these mining areas invaded by the US. The 1872 US Mining Act, designed to enrich its institutions, is still the law that governs mining. It is a treaty violation.

The US Supreme Court has declared that the United States violated the Ft Laramie Treaty. The Supreme Court identified these acts as “the ripest, rankest case of theft in the history of the United States.” Although this Supreme Court decision is applauded by many as a minimal gesture of justice, the vents that led to this decision offer further examples of how US unilateral decision oppress the Lakota Oyate. This case ended up at the Supreme Court due to US unilateral decisions that were taken up by Indian Reorganization Act (IRA) governments.

The US unilateral decision to take Treaty Territory and resources violates its’ own Constitution, “Treaties are the supreme law of the land.” The Supreme Court decision that money will be awarded as settlement of the “ripest, rankest case of theft in the history of the US” is proof that the Lakota Oyate have pursued Treaty Rights through every existing apparatus in the United States and that the decisions by the US institutions show the world that the Lakota will never see our Treaty upheld if the decision is to be made by US: we will not accept money for the illegal taking of land, the US institutions will only pay money for the illegal taking of Treaty Territory. We are at an impasse.

COLONIZATION

The US created its own apparatus to continue to make decisions intended to control the Lakota, decisions detrimental to the Lakota. Through the decision of the US to create the 1934 Indian Reorganization Act, tribal governments were formed. Lakota consensus was absent in the US decision that we wanted a new form of government to replace our traditional form of government. While the Howard-Wheeler Act may have been developed with the best of intentions by American sympathizers to the treatment of the Lakota by the US, it is an illegal act and has never been accepted by Lakota consensus. Actions by this form of government often further erode Treaty Rights and sovereignty, actions absent Lakota consensus.

The Ira government was used to take the Lakota Oyate Treaty Rights into the lower arenas of the US government, such as the specially developed Indian Claims Court and the Supreme Court, when this struggle for Treaty Rights legally belongs between our Nation and the US government as it is a Nation to Nation Treaty.

The IRA government continues to deepen the assimilation and colonization of the Lakota people. A vivid example of IRA governments’ upholding unilateral decisions made by the US is the action of IRA’s entrance to Treaty Council business. Although in every generation there have been Lakota men recognized as Treaty Leaders, the IRA government in support of decisions by the US, took action to enter Treaty council business, creating confusion and dissension among the Lakota Oyate as IRA goals and Treaty Council goals are often diametrically opposed. The IRA governments now make decisions absent Band consensus.

The Black Hills Sioux Nation Treaty Council reaffirms its’ Declaration of Inherent Authority and Sovereignty to the Indian Reorganization Act government of the Bureau of Indian Affairs of the Interior Department of the US government, and to the American President Barrack Obama, as well as the US State Department. This is necessary as IRA government continues to operate as the colonizer of the Lakota, to deepen assimilation policies of the US, is unable to enforce Treaty Rights, and moves in and out of discussion to accept money for Treaty violations. The Cobell Settlement and the Black Hills Claim are two examples of such discussion IRA governments end up in when approached by outside world attorneys, consultants, investors, and other such entities, not to mention extractive mining speculators, explorers, and mining corporations.

From its’ passage to today, the IRA government makes decisions that fail to protect our land base and our inherent rights as a sovereign people as evidenced by Treaty violations in the unilateral taking of Treaty Territory lands, water, natural resources by state governments and the US and in its business with private, state, federal, and multinational corporate entities.

The effects of colonization, assimilation, post traumatic stress, and other conditions suffered in the near-genocide inflicted on our people by the US government and its military and religious organization has influenced the minds and hearts of our past generations. The cumulative effects of this experience confined the thinking of past generations to that of the parameters set by the US government and its policies. We must remember that in the early days of “reservation” life, we were considered Prisoners of War, and our people living on federal Indian Reservations were given the designation Prisoner of War, and reservations were assigned numbers. Pine Ridge is Prisoner of War Camp 344.

Our people have examined the historical relationship with the United States and its institutions, including IRA government and its impacts on our people. The stark reality of the conditions of our people force Traditional Leaders to take action to put forth a vision, which cannot include accepting the parameters imposed on our Lakota Oyate. Our people live in the most economically depressed areas of the US. We are the poorest of the poor. We have the worst health and poorest health care. Social and political scientists refer to our demographics as comparable to Third World conditions. Our waters are contaminated, the US promises funding to pipe in clean water, and routinely cuts it to pennies on the dollar. For the past several years, this piped in drinking water is under threat by multinational corporations seeking to build oil pipelines across it. Our babies die faster and more often than any infant in America. Our young people have the suicide rate in this country. We risk losing our Lakota language and ways of life. We are at a crossroads. As we see the continuing erosion of Treaty Rights, we also see our Lakota way of life slowly disappearing. If we do not act now, we risk our future as a distinct people.

We discard the foreign notions of assimilation and colonization; we do not believe the promises of the US, including the assurances of the IRA that an IRA influenced Treaty Council can operate in alliance with an IRA government. Outside of the parameters of restrained and restricted thinking imposed on our people by colonization, the Black Hills Sioux Nation Treaty Council reaffirms that it must operate outside of a relationship with the 1934 IRA government to preserve the integrity of, and our rights, in the 1851 and 1868 Ft Laramie Treaties. It will not be colonized thinking, actions, or institutions that aid our efforts to uphold our Treaty Rights.

We acknowledge that relatives sit in IRA government, who attempt to protect and provide for the people. The colonization of our people has created in the minds of some of our people the notion that he or she can take IRA office and be a leader, however, history shows us that it is not possible for IRA to take sovereign action to benefit the whole Band, or the coming generations, or the work to protect Treaty Rights, as the IRA form of government is not in place to take such actions. The IRA government has sought to control Treaty Councils and to determine who holds such position, usurping from the Lakota Oyate the inherent right to chose leaders, and has often taken action that, intended or not, undermines the work of the Black Hills Sioux Nation Treaty Council to uphold the 1851 and 1868 Ft Laramie Treaties.

THE BLACK HILLS SIOUX NATION TREATY COUNCIL REAFFIRMS THAT IS A SEPARATE AND DISTINCT ENTITY FROM THE 1934 IRA GOVERNMENT AND WILL EMPLOY ITS’ INHERENT AUTHORITY AND SOVEREIGNTY TO DECISION MAKING AND LEADERSHIP TO PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF, AND OUR RIGHTS IN, THE 1851 AND 1868 FT LARAMIE TREATIES.

Attachments:
asumpimercury.jpg [123.95 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 am 

Thank you.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/05/0 ... 00-dollars

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 am 

They Tell Their Story: the Dakota Internment at
Camp McClellan in Davenport, 1862-1866

https://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cg ... ls-of-iowa

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am 

“I hate all White people, you are thieves and liars. You have taken away our land and made us outcasts.”

Tatanka Iyotake - Hunkpapa

Attachments:
TI.jpg
TI.jpg [ 5.21 KiB | Viewed 38696 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 am 

Little Six (Shakopee) and Medicine Bottle. Trial Documents 1862 - 1865. SMHC Manuscript Collection 165. 11 folders, 265 pages.

Abstract:

This collection is made up of photocopies of documents relating to the trials of Little Six (Shakopee), Medicine Bottle, and Wo-wi-na-pa. Following the Dakota Uprising of 1862, these three men were put on trial for war crimes against the citizens of Minnesota. Little Six and Medicine Bottle were tried, convicted, and hung, for their involvement. This collection contains the trial transcripts (both handwritten and typewritten), the recommendation of execution for the two men, and correspondence regarding the trials and the records kept of them. Wo-wi-na-pa was tried and convicted of war crimes, but he eventually was released. The transcripts from his trial are also included, as are letters regarding release and transport of other Dakotas, a petition for pardon of four Indians confined at Camp McClellan, and the order for pardon for those Indians from Abraham Lincoln. Correspondents included in the collection are: Steven Return Riggs, Henry H. Sibley, and Joseph Holt.

These documents are included in the book, The Dakota trials : the 1862-1864 military commission trials : including the trial transcripts and commentary, by John Isch.

http://lib.mnsu.edu/archives/fa/smhc/smhc165.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:36 am 

Colonial Calibrations: The Expendability of Minnesota's Original People

From the Dakota perspective, people who risk their lives in the name of justice and freedom are the most righteous. My unkanna Eli Taylor relayed this about the Dakota men who were hanged:

Wicahcadakiya otke wicayapi, hena maka tehindapi.

They hanged some old men, those who cherished the earth.

Tokatakiya takozakpaku cincap hena tak sanpa hena makak tehindapi.

Their future grandchildren's children will cherish the earth even more.

Hena otke wicayapi.

They hanged them.

Etanhan tokatakiya wanna hena wowaste ecunpi hena.

They have blessed the future now.

Hena tak sica ecunpa otke wicayapi sni.

They were not hanged for doing anything bad.

Hena taku wowaste un t'api he wowastek he tuweda kapeya sni.

They died for doing good, no one can compare to what they died for.

Wowaste un hena otkewicayapi.

For that righteousness they were hanged.

Okicize ekta yek hena wowastek un hena wicaktepi.

They killed the ones who went to war for that righteousness.

The righteousness of fighting for our people and our land in the context of the colonial project was also expressed by at least one of the men who would swing from the gallows. Sometime before he was hanged in 1865, Little Six told Colonel Robert N. McLaren: “I am not afraid to die. When I go into the spirit world, I will look the Great Spirit in the face and I will tell him what the whites did to my people before we went to war. He will do right. I am not afraid.”

In the twenty-first century, Dakota people are still asking the same questions about how to achieve justice and, at least some of us, still maintain a firm sense that our struggle is just and that our struggle is righteous. But, what must we do to achieve it? In spite of the passage of this U.N. Declaration and, theoretically, international support for the case that Dakota people would have against the U.S. government, in many ways we are faced with the same dismal prospect for justice because the colonial context has not changed. Our land is still stolen, the bulk of our population still lives in exile, we are still fighting against cultural eradication, and colonizer interests are always given precedence over Indigenous interests. As Dakota people today, how do we seek justice any more effectively than our ancestors did in 1862? Because none of the injustices have been righted, 150 years after the U.S.-Dakota War that launched Minnesota's campaign of genocide against Dakota people, we are still treated as an expendable population within our homeland of Minisota Makoce (Land Where the Waters Reflect the Skies).

https://racism.org/index.php/en/article ... librations

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 am 

This is also my fight... one that will end in bloodshed if the American judiciary system doesn't began to undo centuries of "legalized" land theft through contrived and specious American federal court decisions that amount to nothing less than systematic GENOCIDE in order to claim Native homelands for invading and occupying Europeon whites:

http://www.mtpr.org/post/judge-allows-p ... l-pipeline

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 29   [ 566 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next