PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am 

Attachment:
18738806_1933875786638703_5602856756678321437_o.jpg [273.14 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
From the NY Times March 3, 1880

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A state of war between Crow Creek Dakotah Oyate and the US
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:14 am 

"When but a mere child, father inspired me by often saying: ‘Son, I never want to see you live to be an old man. Die young on the battlefield. That is the way a Lakota dies.’ The full intent of this advice was that I must never shirk my duty to my tribe no matter what price in sacrifice I paid. Yet in serving my tribe I was serving myself. If I failed in duty, I simply failed to meet a test of manhood, and a man living in his tribe without respect was a living nonentity. My ancestors had been brave men. There was not an enemy they feared—not even did they fear death. So if I were not afraid to die I would then dare to do whatever came for me to do."

Luther Standing Bear - Oglala

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:16 am 

"The Sand Creek Massacre, as it was now called, set off a bloody war of revenge. That winter, Indian war parties created havoc all along the South Platte River. Crazy Horse rode south with his friends to join the big allied Indian encampment in the valley of the South Platte. He was one of the warriors who raided the stagecoach station at Julesburg, Colorado. They plundered the station's store and warehouse, burned the buildings to the ground, then rode away.
The raids continued throughout January 1865, the Moon of Frost on the Lodge. For a hundred miles along the South Platte, warriors burned stage stations and ranches, drove off horses and cattle, and destroyed telegraph lines, killing more people than Chivington had killed at Sand Creek. The Indians controlled the South Platte valley so completely, they kept huge bonfires burning at night to guide the returning war parties. Finally, led by northern Sioux, the entire allied Indian force pulled back to the wilderness of the Powder River country, where there were no soldiers or forts.
Army reinforcements were rushed to the plains. At Fort Laramie, plans were made for the US Army to invade the Powder River country and overpower the hostile tribes."

from The Life and Death of Crazy Horse by Russell Freedman

Attachments:
12038122_1030092117042985_8559809480086017409_n.jpg
12038122_1030092117042985_8559809480086017409_n.jpg [ 37.13 KiB | Viewed 18245 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 am 

Attachment:
Killing-of-Crazy-horse-11055-2241-18.jpg
Killing-of-Crazy-horse-11055-2241-18.jpg [ 165.77 KiB | Viewed 18245 times ]
"Crazy Horse saw Red Cloud and Spotted Tail both betrayed by the white man as well as Sitting Bull. They had all signed treaties with the white man in solemn council and the words of the white men had been broken. Crazy Horse saw nothing, knew nothing but treachery from the white man. He felt himself above dealing with men who knew no honor. As by all such men Crazy Horse was sincerely hated and feared. To get rid of him was the dearest wish of many, both white and Indian. And, of course, the most subtle way was to turn his people against him. It was well known that the promise to make him Chief of Chiefs, freely circulated, would make for Crazy Horse many bitter enemies, even though it was not a promise meant for fulfillment. Preparations had been made to send Crazy Horse as a prisoner for life to the island, Dry Torgugas--a sentence which, if carried out, would have been far worse for him than death itself.
From a military standpoint it was quite necessary to rid the land of Crazy Horse. He represented the last stronghold of a weakened and all but subjected nation, so against him trickery and treachery was concentrated and finally prevailed."

Ote Kte (Luther Standing Bear) - Oglala

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 am 

My friends and relatives, let us stand as one family, as we did before the white people led us astray.”

Tatanka Iyotake (Sitting Bull) - Hunkpapa

Profile E-mail  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 29 of 29   [ 566 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29